Wednesday, 12 September 2007

Today, I am Grateful

Filed under: ,

The following post is one of a series of posts appearing Monday through Friday on The Cancer Blog. This feature -- Today, I am grateful -- allows me to share with readers my appreciation for all the treasures in my life, both big and small. In my post-cancer world, I find It healing for my soul to be mindful of the good in my life. It is my pleasure to share my gratitude with you.

I'm sick of talking about this sickness of mine. But there's one more thing I need to say in regards to how it's disrupted my life -- and how one person has helped me pick up the pieces I've left scattered around as a result.

The one more thing: Sickness always throws me for a loop. I'm an organized, planned, on-the-ball sort of person and I don't like how sickness takes me out of the game. I'm not good at sitting around, resting, putting my feet up for extended periods of time. I hate how life passes me by and my responsibilities begin to stack up. I try my best to stay on top of everything but all it really does is keep me sick. It seems the more I try to do, the longer it takes for my body to heal.

The one person: My husband. As Labor Day weekend approached and it was clear I was in bad shape, he took our boys to the beach for three days. When I'd been up coughing all night and there was no way I could get out of bed and take our kids to school in the morning, he did it. He also took the day off work, did chores around the house, and picked the boys up from school. He entertained them, cooked dinner, cleaned, and made sure I was in bed by 7:30 PM. He checked on me, made medicine runs, made sure I was properly dosed, and so much more. He made it easier for me to be sick.

Today, I am grateful for my helpful husband.

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

No comments: