Monday, 10 September 2007

Today, I am Grateful

Filed under: ,

The following post is one of a series of posts appearing Monday through Friday on The Cancer Blog. This feature -- Today, I am grateful -- allows me to share with readers my appreciation for all the treasures in my life, both big and small. In my post-cancer world, I find It healing for my soul to be mindful of the good in my life. It is my pleasure to share my gratitude with you.

I've been sick for 10 days. Only during the past few days have I started noticing my body is beginning to mend. I judge this by the fact that lately, I am able to sleep.

For days and days, I coughed all night. I might sleep for an hour here and there but mostly, I spent my twilight hours hacking uncontrollably. My cough was so severe at times, it caused me to vomit. My cough was horrible and landed me night after night in a vicious cycle I couldn't control.

I saw a doctor several days ago who armed me with an antibiotic, an inhaler, and a cough syrup laced with codeine. The combination of these three are helping and slowly, although I slide backwards now and then, I am getting better. I'm not coughing as much during the day and when I take my magical cough medicine at night, I rest and sleep and cough only for short bits of time. Things are looking up. Finally.

Today, I am grateful for sleep.

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

No comments: