Friday, 14 September 2007

Obesity is the leading cause of school absences

Filed under: ,

When I was in school, it was pretty rare for my classmates to miss a day of school. If they did, they has either come down with the flu, broken a limb or were really good at faking it for their moms. Has much changed? I didn't think so, until I read this article. Apparently, obesity is now the leading cause for school absences. It's also the #1 predictor of absenteeism.

Why do you think this is? Those who did the original study aren't saying, but it's my feeling is that it's a mixture of things. First off, kids who have the unhealthy lifestyles that may lead to obesity are more likely to get sick. Secondly, kids who are obese are more like to get teased, and more likely to try to find a way to skip school.

Still, I think it's a problem that needs to be addressed, since education, like good nutrition, is so important for growing kids.

No comments: