Tuesday, 14 August 2007

Have you tried quinoa?

Filed under: ,

Occasionally, at our food co-op, I get adventurous and help another member fill a case of a product I've never tried. The last few months, people have been ordering different kids of grains that are new to me: spelt, amaranth, and even quinoa. Though quinoa isn't technically a grain, it sure looks like one and can be used like rice or couscous in side dishes, salads, and soups. My own bag of quinoa is sitting in my pantry, waiting for me to look up a recipe and try it, but after reading about quinoa and heart health, I may just have to cook some up today!

In addition to being good for your heart, quinoa is loaded with protein and minerals, including magnesium. It's also inexpensive, easy to cook, and unlike other popular grains, gluten-free. If you'd like to learn more about quinoa, check out this list of 5 important reasons to eat it from Diet-Blog.

No comments: