Tuesday, 14 August 2007

10 Symptoms to never ignore

Filed under:

There are many things we tend to write off as normal signs of getting older. The aches and pain, the slow-but-steady weight gain, feeling cold all the time, getting the occasional sniffles. Sometimes I wonder if these are things I should pay more attention to, but I tend to cast that thought out of my mind because going to the doctor is inconvenient. And usually, ignoring symptoms is ok, but there are some that, according to the Mayo Clinic, you should never ignore, including:
  • Unexplained weight loss
  • Persistent fever
  • Shortness of breath
  • Unexplained changes in bowel habits
  • Mental status changes
  • Severe headaches
  • Loss of vision, movement or speaking control, even if it's short-term
  • Flashes of light
  • Feeling full after eating little
  • Hot, red or swollen joints
I definitely agree that these should be cause for alarm. My dad started to exhibit several of these symptoms a few months before he passed away, but explain them away as normal aging. Don't make the same mistake.

No comments: